An end to the summer does not have to mean an end to racing. Having some type of goal race or event during these upcoming colder months can be just the type of motivation needed to stick with training and nutrition. Here is a short list of some of best races among various distances to give you some goals through the winter and spring.
Turkey Day 5k
- Date: Weekend prior to Thanksgiving or the morning of
- Location: Almost every city or town in the United States
- Get 300 calories into the negative before enjoying the Thanksgiving feast with friends and family. There are official http://www.turkeyday-5k.com events and local ones, all throughout the country.
Rock N Roll Vegas Marathon / Half Marathon
- Date: December 2
- Location: Las Vegas, NV
- With an afternoon start and being able to run through the scenic Las Vegas Strip at night make this event incredibly special. With highs in the 70’s, this will be a welcome destination race for those living in colder locations.
- Date: December 1st to December 23rd
- Location: Almost any city or town
- From the Jingle Jog to the Run with Santa 5k, someone is bound to be putting one on near you!
Across the Years 24, 48, or 72 hour
- Date: December 29
- Location: Glendale, Arizona
- This is as unique of a race as they come. There are three available options. Runners have 24, 48, or 72 hours to cover as much distance as possible on a 1.0498 mile primarily gravel path. Cross over into a new year in style!
Last Chance Marathon / Half Marathon
- Date: December 31
- Location: Bellingham, Washington
- A very reasonably priced $40 entry fee, an out and back course, and it being one of the last chances to run a 2012 marathon makes this a great way to finish out the year!
- Date: January 26
- Location: Northern Minnesota
- This epic ultra marathon is a point to point run, bike, or ski race on the Arrowhead State Trail. This race actually loses money because of the donations they give to multiple groups and charities. Make your year a real challenge and attempt the Badwater World Cup. The Arrowhead race is in the snow, the Badwater 135 is in the desert, and the Brazil 135 takes place in the mountains!
Ultramaraton Caballo Blanco
- Date: February 27th
- Location: Copper Canyon in Chihuahua, Mexico
- This is a popular destination race for fans of the late Caballo Blanco or of the Born to Run book. Aside from the fantastic course and location, the race benefits the local native community.
You may also like: How to Adjust your Training for the Winter / Treadmill Training Guide
Sign up to be entered into a monthly shoe giveaway!